|Rice and lentil soup|
Serves 4 - 6 as a light meal
Time: 10 minutes prep; 30 minutes cooking
You will need: Chopping board and knife; medium saucepan with lid; breakfast cup.
½ breakfast cup dry green or brown lentils
½ cup long grain white rice
1 medium onion, peeled and diced
1 small cup of any diced mixed vegetables
1 tsp dry mixed spices (such as garam masala, 5-spice, Cajun spice)
or 1 - 2 tsp mild curry paste
4 cups water (or 3 cups water and 1 cup chicken stock)
1 tbs vegetable cooking oil
½ tsp salt or 2 tsp (10ml) fish sauce (see fish sauce tip)
Optional: Diced left-over cooked chicken or roast meat; or 3 - 4 raw chicken wings, cut into segments and with fat pads removed; or small handful cashew nuts/dried shrimp/fresh prawns; or anything else you would like to add.
Vegetables used in the photo above: ½ carrot, finely chopped; 10 cherry tomatoes, ¼ stick celery, shredded rocket and fresh coriander. Try zucchini, beans, broccoli stem, mushrooms - basically anything to hand.
1. Leave lentils in breakfast cup and fill to the brim with boiling water (this step reduces cooking time).
2. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat; add diced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until transparent.
3. Meanwhile, finely chop selected vegetables.
4. Add spice to onion; stir well. Add rice and stir to coat with oil and spice.
5. Add vegetables, lentils and soaking water, any extras, and 4 cups water &/or stock.
6. Bring to boil; reduce heat to fast simmer; stir well; put the lid on and come back in 30 minutes.
RICE AND LENTIL CONGEE
|Rice and lentil congee|
|Young wombok in the CF's veggie garden|